The FA Basic Referee Course (Theory & Practical)
- Minimum Age: 14
- Course Duration: Minimum of 21 Guided Learning Hours
- Course Prerequisites: None
- Who is it for: This course is open to anyone who is interested in officiating 11 a side or 9 v 9 football.
- Course aims and objectives: The BRC provides participants with an insight to the laws of the game and their practical application on the field of play. It also looks at the skills required to be a referee.
- Leading to: Registered Referee Status (either level 8 Youth Referee or Level 7 Junior County Referee)
The course consists of 5 clear modules with the following elements
Modules 1-4 - Theory/Practical Delivery:
- The Key skills required to be a football referee
- Theoretical information of the 17 laws of the game
- Practical work covering implementation of the laws
- The art of Positioning and movement
- Management strategies and ideas on effective decision-making
- Officiating 6 games of football
- Effective reporting misconduct
- Assessment Of Knowledge
Module 5 - Assessment of Experiences:
- Reviewing and receiving Feedback
- Managing expectations
PLEASE NOTE: The dates indicated on the course booking cover only the first 3 Modules of learning. Module 4 requires the candidate to track the practical implementation of their lessons in a match environment, and Module 5, the Final Assessment, can only be completed once that has been evidenced.
Either the FA Safeguarding Football on line learning resource or where applicable the workshop will be completed. A DBS check will be instigated during the course, where applicable.
Practical Involvement: Candidates are encouraged to participate practically to maximise their opportunities for learning. (This however will not prevent successful completion of the award)
Assessment: Assessment is via successful completing the Assessment of Knowledge (theory & practical) in module 4.
Suggested additional learning opportunities:
- FA Mini Football Referees Course
- Small Sided referee Course
- Futsal Referee Course
- Referee Mentoring Workshop
Equality: FA Learning will ensure that it treats people fairly and with respect and that it will provide access and opportunities for all members of the community to take part in, and enjoy, it's activities in an atmosphere free from harassment, bullying, discrimination or abuse. FA Learning will seek to provide a service which is appropriate to the needs of an individual and to make reasonable adjustments or provide support, where appropriate, to cater for those needs.
The cost of the Basic Referees Course for all age groups is £100.00 and includes the following:
• Copy of latest Laws of the Game booklet
• Interactive DVD on Laws of the Game
• Pre course study pack
• All course materials
• Qualified FA Referee Tutors
• Safeguarding Children Workshop & CRC Check (Age 16+)
• Referee RESPECT Training / Guide
• FA Registration fee for one season
• Services of a mentor following the course
• Assistance with obtaining a position with appropriate local Leagues
• Certificate of qualification following 6 games
• Associate membership of the Referee / FA (RAFA) Association
Please note that if you have attended an FA Safeguarding Children Workshop or completed an FA Criminal Record Check (CRC) within the last 3 years then you may be entitled to a discount of up to £40.00 off your course fee. To find out if you qualify please contact Eve.Walker@DurhamFA.com or 0191 3872929 to enquire.
HOW DO I APPLY?
To apply please complete the application form at the bottom of the screen 'Documents' and return with payment to Eve Walker, Durham County FA, Riverside South, Chester-le-Street, Durham, DH3 3SJ
IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN APPLYING FOR ANY FUTURE COURSES PLEASE EMAIL YOUR NAME AND CONTACT DETAILS TO EVE.WALKER@DURHAMFA.COM